Originally founded as St. Joseph Academy in 1877 by the Sisters of St. Mary of Namur, St. Mary’s School has a long- standing tradition in the Grayson County community. For over seventy-five years, the school existed as both an elementary and secondary school. During the last fifty years or so the school has offered primary education for its students. In 1966, a kindergarten was added, and in 1988, a preschool.
After one hundred fourteen years of dedicated service and love for their students, the Sisters of St. Mary retired from active teaching. The fall of 1991 brought forth a new era of an all lay faculty, each dedicated to continuing the excellence of education instilled by the Sisters of St. Mary of Namur.