St. Mary’s School focuses on manners and etiquette. For example, students will not be permitted to respond, “Uh-huh” or “yeah”. Instead the school expects to hear, “Yes Ma’am” or “No Sir”. Within this proper response is a respect for the person receiving an answer – a respect worthy of all God’s children.
The goal of developing manners and etiquette as a habit will take time and effort. Certainly efforts from home strengthen this school-wide program. The school faculty selected the “Essential Ten” manners and etiquette from a list of over 150 that we felt our school needed to spend the most time addressing.
The Essential Ten
Expected Manners & Etiquette of St. Mary’s Students
- Greeting Visitors
- Saying “Yes Ma’am” or “Yes Sir” instead of “uh huh” or “yeah”
- Saying “Excuse me” if someone bumps into you (even if it is not your fault)
- Holding a door for others
- The Magic Words (i.e. Please, Thank you, You’re Welcome)
- Giving and Receiving Apologies
- Good Hygiene
- Respecting Other’s Property
- Being a Good Sport